Our knowledgeable, compassionate mobility consultants are ready to help you through your accessible vehicle purchase process with professional advice and expertise. Contact us today and experience the true mobility freedom you deserve.View Our Inventory Contact AMS Vans Sales Department
Converting Your Minivan for Wheelchair AccessibilityLearn more about converting a minivan to be handicap-accessible with a wheelchair ramp.
Modifying a minivan to a wheelchair-accessible van is a popular option for those whose personal minivans are eligible for the AMS Vans conversion. Discover more about converting your own minivan into a new conversion van or pre-owned converted minivan for wheelchair- or scooter-accessibility.
he make, model, year, and mileage of your vehicle will be the determining factors in deciding whether or not the vehicle is fit to be converted into a handicap accessible vehicle. Many unmodified minivans are perfect candidates for conversion of this sort.Should I Convert My Minivan for Handicap Accessibility?
Mobility is a concern for those who require use of a wheelchair, scooter, or other handicap accessibility device. If you already own a minivan, your vehicle may be a prime candidate for wheelchair access modification.
How Do I Know Who to Trust for the Conversion Process? While the process of transforming your standard minivan into a functional, durable wheelchair-accessible vehicle is not as complex as it may seem, the experience and expertise of the technicians — as well as the reputation of the company behind the conversion — make all the difference in the world with respect to safety and quality.
If you're currently driving an unmodified minivan, chances are that it can be converted into versatile wheelchair-accessible transportation. Factors that determine your van's conversion eligibility include (1) the make and model; (2) the manufacture year; and, (3) the total mileage of the vehicle.
Should I Consider a Side-Entry Wheelchair Van Conversion? More used accessible vans for sale on the market feature side-entry style ramp deployment than rear ramp deployment for several good reasons — most notably, the ability of the wheelchair-user to ride in the front passenger seat; or, even to drive the vehicle personally.
Other benefits unique to the side-entry conversion include:
- Seating options and configurations similar to standard vehicles — such as the inclusion of the standard rear bench
- Vehicle access remains as natural as standard vans — specifically entering and exiting the van from the side of accessible parking spaces
- Greater flexibility with respect to floor plan configurations — including your choice of more wheelchairs or more able-bodied passengers
- Simple, straightforward operation of the wheelchair ramp — with the option of a kneeling system to lower the ramp angle in powered models
Other benefits unique to the rear-entry conversion include:
- A typically more affordable conversion installation process — the rear bench is removed and replaced with the ramp mechanism
- The option to use regular parking spaces — rear-entry access means never having to wait for disabled-accessible parking
- Wheelchair users are commonly situated in the center of the vehicle — the position determined to be the safest in the event of a collision
- Greater ground clearance to handle uneven roadways — including speed bumps; car wash and parking lot entrances; snow piles; etc.
The knowledgeable, compassionate mobility specialists at AMS Vans are standing by to listen to your needs, answer your questions and offer you objective guidance in helping you to choose the best ramp van conversion style that fits your unique lifestyle.
For more information on wheelchair van conversions to support your active lifestyle, contact one of our knowledgeable compassionate mobility specialists — either by phone at 800-391-1518 or using our convenient web form — and, we'll be happy to answer all of your questions.
Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
- Stock #: D1915246
- Mileage: 15 Miles
- Color: Knuckle
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry In-Floor Pwr
- Location: Houston, TX
- Features: N/A
- Stock #: 119050
- Mileage: 31,732 Miles
- Color: Silver
- Ramp/Lift: Rear Entry Short
- Location: Call for Details
- Features: Backup Camera, Bluetooth, Leather, 3YR/36K Conv Wrty, Parking Sensors, Heated Seats, Remote Start, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Lowered Floor, ADA Compliant
- Stock #: 20060013
- Mileage: 1,217 Miles
- Color: White
- Ramp/Lift: Side Entry Bi-Fold Pwr
- Location: Call for Details
- Features: Backup Camera, Bluetooth, Leather, Parking Sensors, Heated Seats, Remote Start, Driver Pwr. Seat Base, Pass. Pwr. Seat Base, Lowered Floor